The family of a Gugulethu man who was allegedly assaulted in holding cells after he was falsely accused of kidnapping his lover is calling for justice. Lazola Duze, 21, spent three days in the Gugulethu police holding cells after he was arrested at the home of his 18 year old girlfriend. The nightmare began for Lolo- as he is known- after he was told by a neighbour that he was sought by police for the kidnap of his girlfriend.I was shocked and scared so I decided to go to her home and clear my name. When I arrived there, her grandmother and other family members started questioning me about her whereabouts. When I told them I did not know where she was, I was slapped and the police were called,” he recalled. He was accused of abducting his girlfriend who lives a stone’s throw from from his home. Duze said that the police had come to his house and kicked the door of his back room and found that the woman was not there. “The police arrived and locked me away even though they didn’t find the woman in my home. I then spent two days in custody.I just couldn’t believe that I would be arrested for something that I didn’t do,” he reflected. He says that it was a tough two days finding him in a hostile environment. “I was assaulted on the Thursday, the day of my appearance in court by other inmates as I was not a member of a gang. It was a traumatic experience for also the fact that I could go to jail for something that I didn’t do. I was also scared if I appeared and didn’t go to jail, I could be sent to Pollsmoor Prison where the beating could worsen,” he said. His family had to pay R1000 for a lawyer to represent him at the Athlone Magistrates Court on Thursday. Duze’s mother, Nosipho, said that they were relieved when the lawyer found that there was no basis for the arrest. “He told us that the case was dismissed as there was not enough evidence for him to be arrested. We are really disappointed in the police as well as the family of the woman as she was seen in public and they have not come to us and apologise,” she said. Lazola said that he was released on Thursday and the following day he received news that the woman was spotted in a taxi. “My elder brother even saw her on a Saturday and this makes me angry because no one has come to me to apologise,” said Lazola. His mother said that they were upset that their family name had been tainted as Lazola was labelled a kidnapper in the community. Police spokesperson Captain FC Van Wyk said that SAPS members were bound by a code of conduct and advised the Duze family to lay a complaint. “The complainant is encouraged to lodge a complaint with police management at Guguletu SAPS or IPID so that their allegations can be investigated. The alleged behaviour by our members will not be tolerated and we will take appropriate action if the allegations can be substantiated,” he said.