Public violence accused granted R500 bail

2019-09-19 06:00

All 15 accused of public violence in connection with the violence that erupted on the N2 last week have been granted R500 bail each, even though one had abandoned his bail application.

Two of the accused were out on a warning when they appeared with the others on Wednesday 18 September.

Since Friday 6 September, residents had occupied open land along the N2 belonging to construction company Asla, erecting zinc shacks.

The tract of land has been a bone of contention since the start of the year.

The shacks were demolished on Wednesday 11 September, which led to the burning of tyres on the N2 early that morning, and which resulted in the arrests.

Magistrate Karen Scheepers told the accused that the high volume of cases relating to public violence was such that the accused were released on a warning, with bail fixed at R500.

“In some of these cases the accused come to court, while others don’t,” she told them. “So we want all of you here at the same time when the case commences.”

She postponed the case to Thursday 21 November for further investigation.

A number of the accused indicated they needed to make phone calls to try and secure payment of the stipulated amount.

It was only accused 13 who said he had no money to pay the bail with.

The investigation continues.

NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.