Fighting poverty with social security grants

2015-06-11 06:01

WITH constant price increases on the basic necessities - food, water, electricity - many Upper Highway residents are finding it difficult to make ends meet.

However, relief is available in the form of social assistance by the South African Social Security Agency (Sassa).

Vusi Mahaya, Sassa senior manager of communication, said that social assistance­ is an income transfer in the form of grants provided by government.

“A social grant refers to grants paid by the South African Social Security Agency - that is a disability grant, a grant for older persons, a war veteranand#039;s grant, foster child grant, care dependency grant, child support grant and a grant-in-aid,” he said.

Mahaya said there are many requirements for one to collect the grants.

He said for the grant for older persons­, the applicant must be a South African citizen or a permanent resident and must be 60 years or older.

“For the disability grant the applicant must be a South African citizen or a permanent resident or refugee.”

“The applicant must be between 18 and 59 years of age and must submit a medical or assessment report confirming disability.”

He said the medical assessment must not be older than three months at date of application.

“For the war veteranand#039;s grant the applicant­ must be a South African citizen­ or permanent resident and must be 60 years and over, or must be disabled.

“The applicant must have fought in World War II or the Korean War.

“For the foster child grant the applicant and child must be resident in South African and have a court order indicating foster­ care status.

“The foster parent must be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee and the child must remain in the care of the foster parent.

“The child support grant states that the primary care giver must be a South African citizen or permanent resident and both the applicant and the child must reside in South Africa.”

Mahaya said the applicant must be the primary care giver of the child and/or children concerned and the child or children must have been born after 31 December, 1993.

“The applicant and spouse must meet the requirements of the means test; cannot apply for more than six non biological children,” said Mahaya.

“The child can not be cared for in a state institution.”

Lastly for grant-in-aid the applicant must be in receipt of a grant for older persons, disability grant or a war veterans­’s grant, and require full-time attendance by another person owing to his or her physical or mental disabilities.

“The applicant must not be cared for in an institution that receives subsidy by the state for the care or housing of such beneficiary.”

In addition Mahaya said that the applicant’s spouse must comply with the means test and must not be maintained or cared for in a state institution or must not be in receipt of another social grant for him or herself.

“All applicants must submit a 13 digit bar coded identity document,” he said.

To apply for a grant or for more information­, visit the nearest Sassa office­


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.