Bombing suspect granted bail

2018-10-25 06:02
PHOTO: ANDILE SITHOLEProtesters outside Verulam family court.

PHOTO: ANDILE SITHOLEProtesters outside Verulam family court.

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

ONE of the 19 accused linked to a series of bomb scares around Durban as well as the attack of the Imam Hussain Mosque, in Ottawa, was released on R100 000 bail at the Verulam family court on Monday, October 15.

The 38-year-old was among the 19 suspects charged with murder, attempted murder, extortion, kidnapping, contravening of the Explosive Acts, arson and contravention of the Protection of Constitutional Democracy Against Terrorists and Related Activities Act (Pocdatara). Magistrate Irfaan Khalil said the suspect was not pointed out by the witnesses during ID parade, not a flight risk and will not interfere with state witnesses. The court heard that the suspect owns two licensed firearms. Magistrate Khalil said: “He denied all the allegations levelled against him that he was found in possession of unlicensed firearm. He is the owner of two licensed firearms. He is the sole breadwinner at home, with four children, and he supports his family,” Khalil said.

He will be back in court on November 29. He was granted bail on the basis that he cannot leave the province of KwaZulu-Natal without a permit from the investigating officer and may not apply for any urgent passport until the matter is settled in court. The suspect was visibly relieved after the court granted him bail.

The state provisionally withdrew all charges against seven suspects who were also linked to the matter. The state said the seven suspects were not pointed out by the witnesses during the ID parade.

The other 11 suspects will be back in court next Monday, October 22, and Tuesday, October 23, for formal bail application. They will remain at the Westville Correctional Services until their next court appearance.

The Muslim community and members of the public carried placards and sang songs outside court in protest of the suspect’s bail application.

Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi: “We are getting a lot of good information [and] the investigations have shown good results.

“There is one case that came to our knowledge that is going to be linked to this case. Hopefully, we would be able to finalise it as well. The co-operation that we get from the members of the public and the media in assisting us in this regards, it’s one of those things that we believe we will be able to untangle all the issues that we are facing with this case. But what is critical as well is the nature of the case that we are dealing with. The provisional withdrawal of the other seven suspects, it doesn’t mean that the cases cannot be reinstated and brought back to court anytime.”

Between March and August this year, areas in Durban were plagued with several incidents of placing and detonating of devices. One person died at the Ottawa mosque when unknown men attacked worshippers. A bomb was recovered at the scene after the incident happened.

The suspects were arrested in a joint operation between the Hawks, crime intelligence, the forensic unit, National Prosecuting Authority and other government departments from the justice cluster.

A man who was kidnapped was rescued inside one of the houses that was raided.


Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.