TEN families were left destitute in Canelands, Verulam, after a fire destroyed their shacks on August 26. Resident Nomfundo Zondo said she lost everything when her shack caught alight.“Our documents and other personal belongings that were in the house were burnt when the fire broke out. “I have nothing. A team from eThekwini Municipality came and supplied building materials to the affected families but I have not received anything yet,” Zondo said.Another resident, Mluleki Lukhozi, said he was outside his house when the fire started.“We tried to extinguish the fire but all our attempts were unsuccessful. We called the fire department. I lost everything that was in the house.” Umhlanga fire station division commander Jay Kanniappen said one person was injured.“It is suspected that the cause of the fire was an illegal connection. Our team arrived at the scene and extinguished the fire before it could spread to other shacks. Metro police and SAPS were in attendance,” Kanniappen said. Ward councillor Geoff Pullan said: “The fire department and SAPS estimated that 10 shacks were burnt. I visited the area and some of the residents said they have not received building material. Shack fires are common here and are caused by illegal connections or candles falling over. Proper prepaid electricity is unlikely as land is in private ownership. The area is not earmarked for anything yet,” Pullan said.