TWO portable public toilets that were being used by the community were set alight in Umbhayi Informal Settlements on Sunday, June 4. The Weekly learnt that residents were angry after the ANC PR councillor, Zanele Ndzoyiya did not consult with them before putting up the two mobile toilets outside their homes last Friday.The two green portable toilets were put up near the main road in Umbhayi area.Resident Shiren Muhammad (50) said she was asleep when she heard a loud bang outside her home.“I first heard the dog barking and suspected that there was something wrong. I then heard a loud bang, like thunder. “I was shocked and peeped through the window. Some parts of the informal settlements were already engulfed into flames. I do not know what the purpose of these toilets was.”Another resident who wished to remain anonymous for fear of victimisation said: “I phoned a security company and asked for their assistance. “The area where they put these toilets is private property. I am suffering from lungs disease, putting the public toilets next to my house was a bad move.”Another resident said a fire started early in the morning at around 1am on Sunday. The ANC PR ward councillor Zanele Sharon Ndzoyiya said the purpose of the two portable toilets was to assist the residents.“I brought the toilets in the area for the benefit of the community. It is saddening to hear that the toilets were set alight.”When the Weekly asked her if she conferred with the local ward councillor, Dolly Munien, she said: “I am also a councillor I work on my own. It would have been unnecessary to inform [Munien] about it. The area committee was informed about the project.”Ward councillor Dolly Munien said: “I received a call at about 1am on Sunday from residents reporting about two toilets on fire. “The PR councillor must explain to me and the community why she put the toilets in the wrong place and on private property. “Each toilet costs eThekwini Municipality more than R2000. “She should have informed the CLO or the ward councillor.”Police spokesperson in Tongaat Warrant Officer Manisha Maharaj-Marie said no case has been opened, but confirmed that the police received a complaint about the toilets.