SHACK dwellers in Canelands, whose homes were torn down after a land invasion unit demolished illegal structures on November 9, are demanding answers from officials.More than five families were displaced. This happened less than a week after houses were demolished in Hazelmere last week. A resident, Sipho Zamisa (47), told the Weekly he has been living in the area for a year. “They should have given us more time to vacate. We were notified on Monday [November 6] to dismantle our houses, and that was not enough. “I was shocked when I saw a mob carrying axes and other implements coming to my house. They destroyed my house with axes and my furniture was damaged. We want to know from our officials why this happened because we were not given any explanation.”Masesi Gumbi (38) said she was at work when she received a call from her children about the demolitions. When the Weekly visited the area on Thursday, November 12, the affected families were removing their belongings from their dismantled units. Ward councillor Geoff Pullan said: “There are so many shacks being built all over eThekwini, so it seems unfair to target these few. Our policy of house demolition is not working. People are building near where there are jobs.”Attempts to obtain comment from eThekwini Municipality were not successful at the time of going to press.