ACCORDING to the records of the 1860 Indentured Labourers Foundation Verulam, Indians gained control of Verulam in 1967. The new library was inaugurated in 1983 by Dr FC Clarke MEC. Willian Irons always wanted to establish a library in Verulam. In November 1849 before the settlers arrived he promised books to start a library in the immigrant ship, Edward. In 1850 books were sent with Dickson for the Verulam Library. On Saturday evening, October 18, 1856 a meeting was held for forming a library. Thomas Champion presided and the Verulam Library Institute was established. The library was opened on November 1, 1856.