‘Prophet’ drops bail application

2018-09-28 06:00

A 23-YEAR-old man who was known in the Kokstad community for working as a ‘prophet’ has appeared in court on charges of rape, and abandoned bail after he was advised by Kokstad Magistrate’s Court to do so on Monday. The man, who wore a brown jersey in the dock, was looking calm and relaxed when magistrate Monwabisi Mda gave him an hour to think about continuing with the bail application or deserting it after the case was delayed.

“If you (the suspect) can desert the bail application the case will be transferred to Regional Court for trial,” said Mda to the man, and he suspended the case for over an hour for the man to decide.

When the man was called for the second time in the dock, he told the court his decision to desert the bail application. Mda thanked him for his decision, saying he would apply for a legal representative during trial proceedings. Mda postponed the case until September 21, for court decision.

The man was arrested after charges of raping two young girls were levelled against him in November 2017.

According to information that was reported to the Fever, two parents of the victims opened cases against the man after their teenage girls, both 16 years old, were allegedly raped by the man on November 5.

The young girls met the man at Bhongweni Township where he wanted to practice some rituals to remove demonic spirits and to help them pass final exams. The young girls went with him to his house for these rituals, but were raped and threatened not to inform their parents.

The following day of the incident, the young girls informed virgin testers about the incident after they were questioned about refusing to attend the programme. Since then, the man had been on the run until he was caught by police caught in the Kwakhwihliza area on July 27, 2018.

Nceba Dedelo, the chairperson of Vulindlela Productions, a non-profit organisation which promotes safety of children in Kokstad, said the man deserves a heavy sentence for what he had done. He said the NPO has helped many vulnerable children who live in the streets to get assistance from the Department of Social Development.

The secretary of the South African Communist Party (SACP) Thembisile Hani district, Ntlahla Zungu called for justice to be served in this case. Last Friday, members of the SACP picketed outside the court when the man was due to appear.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.