Can I manage her personal affairs?

2015-08-05 06:00
Mosa Walker

Mosa Walker

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

MY mother has been living with Alzheimer’s for a number of years and has deteriorated badly these last few weeks. I know my father left her some money and I want to make sure that this money is correctly used for her care. But am I allowed to take over control of her affairs?

Our law does allow for a person to take over control of the personal affairs of another.

This is not a quick process, as the law must make sure that a person’s independence and responsibility for their financial position and health is not willy-nilly passed to another.

Where a person no longer has the mental capacity to manage their own affairs as a result of an illness such as Alzheimer’s, our courts can be approached for assistance to transfer the management of the person’s affairs to another.

An application for a court to appoint a curator for the person or property of someone who is of unsound mind and/or unable to manage his/her own affairs, can be made by any person who has a direct interest in the matter and must be supported by an affidavit.

The affidavit will usually be supported by three further affidavits: an affidavit by someone who knows the patient and is familiar with the patient’s mental state and two further affidavits by a medical practitio-ner and a psychiatrist, reporting on the medical condition of the patient and their opinion of whether the patient is incapable of managing his/her own affairs.

When a family member brings such an application to court, it does, however, not automatically mean that the family member will be appointed as the curator of the patient’s estate or person and the court may decide to appoint a different curator.

The family member will have to provide the court with good reasons as to why he/she is a suitable candidate to take over the affairs of the patient and/or make decisions regarding their person.

Where a curator has eventually been appointed over the affairs of a patient, such a patient is consequently regarded as unable to undertake any legal transactions and can only create legally binding transactions or take decisions through the court-appointed curator.

In your situation you would be able to approach a court to request that you be appointed as the curator both of your mother’s estate as well as her person, in order to take decisions regarding her future medical treatment and care.

As this is a complex process and will require appropriate medical reports to be obtained, it is important that you approach your lawyer for assistance with this process.


Mosa Walker, candidate attorney, Phatshoane Henney Attorneys

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.