Note new travel requirement

2015-06-10 06:00

AN unabridged birth certificate has to be produced for all minors travelling to and from South Africa as of 1 June this year.

This was announced by Home Affairs director-general Mkuseli Apleni on Tuesday, 26 May.

The new requirements were aimed at establishing the principle that all minors require the consent of their parents when travelling in and out of the country to address, among other things, security concerns.

This means that if a person is travelling with a child, whether single, married or divorced, they must have a passport as well as an unabridged certificate which reflects the details of the parents when entering or leaving South Africa.

An unabridged birth certificate is a certificate that contains the details of both the child’s parents, including their marital status and whether they are the biological parents


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.