The 2020 Africa 5’s football competition will be staged later this year when the pandemic coronavirus (Covid-19) threat has been cleared. The organisers will then decide on a suitable date for the staging of the competition. The sponsor, Castle Lager, and partner brands gave the Covid-19 threat as the chief reason for postponement. This is compliant to the World Health Organisation’s declaration of Covid-19 as a global pandemic and various measures implemented by governments on the continent to curb the virus.Announcement on the postponement of all Africa 5’s activities was made on Friday (27/03). “The impact of Covid-19, as well as the safety and well-being of our consumers and other role-players, is something we take extremely seriously,” said Kudzi Mathabire, the sponsor’s brand director. “In light of measures implemented by governments on the continent and the world over, we have come to a decision to postpone our planned activities to later this year. “We understand that this decision may disappoint the football community, but in the spirit of encouraging social distancing and playing our part in curbing the virus, we have to make this difficult yet necessary decision on the basis that football is a highly social sport that is enjoyed in large groups.”The Africa 5’s is a leading movement to connect Africans from different walks of life. The final set of the competition is scheduled to be staged in South Africa this year. This year’s ultimate winner of the Africa 5’s is set to win a football trip to Milan, Italy, hosted by campaign ambassador, Samuel Eto’o. Mathabire said because of the Covid-19 threat globally, the decision was taken that for the first time in the history of the competition the winner’s prize will be of monetary value totalling $15 000 for each of the teams. “It is unfortunate that participants will not be getting this experience, however, the safety of our consumers remains our number one priority. Furthermore, we truly believe that the teams can use the prize money to better their lives.” In 2018 the campaign launched with six countries mainly from the Southern region of Africa: South Africa, Zambia, Swaziland, Lesotho, Zimbabwe and east African country Tanzania. Last year saw a major step-up with the addition of three more countries: Ghana, Nigeria and Uganda.