Agreement vital before marriage

2019-02-20 06:00
Corlia van Zyl

Corlia van Zyl

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


I am getting married this year in terms of customary law.

My fiancé and I are both professional persons and want to be married out of community of property, so we can each manage our own estate.

How can we go about doing this?


Today, the conclusion of a customary marriage is governed by the Recog­nition of Customary Mar­riages Act 120 of 1998 (“RCMA”) read together with the Matrimonial Property Act 88 of 1984 (“MPA”).

For a customary marriage to be valid, the parties must be older than 18 years and must consent to being married under customary law.

Furthermore, the marriage must be negotiated and entered or celebra­ted in accordance with customary law.

This means that all the rituals and traditions of concluding a marriage in terms of a specific culture amongst indigenous South Africans must be complied with.

If the abovementioned requirements have been met, a valid customary marriage exists and the marriage should be registered at the Department of Home Affairs within three months of concluding the marriage.

A customary marriage is by default treated as a marriage in community of property, except if the consequences of a marriage in community of property are specifically excluded by way of an antenuptial agreement between the parties.

This means that parties entering into a customary marriage are allowed to conclude an antenuptial agreement, provided such complies with the requirements of the MPA and the Deeds Registries Act 47 of 1937.

For an antenuptial agreement to be valid, it must therefore be signed before a notary and registered in the Deeds Office to be enforceable.

The signing of the antenuptial agreement must also take place before the date of marriage.

Therefore, for a customary marriage to be recognised as a marriage out of community of property, the parties must execute the antenuptial agreement before the conclusion of the customary marriage. In other words, before the parties proceed with the rituals and tradition of concluding the marriage.

If you are intending to conclude a customary marriage and wish to be married out of community of property, it is therefore important that you consult your attorney to assist you in having an antenuptial contract drawn up and signed before you proceed with the customary marriage. This is to ensure that the consequences of your marriage will be out of community of property.

– Corlia van Zyl, senior associate, Phatshoane Henney Attorneys


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.