Can I inherit?

2015-12-09 06:00


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


I have been raised as the only child by parents who are not my biological parents. Although I regard them as my true parents, I was never formally adopted by them. They are both in ill-health and I do not think they have a will. They do not have much, but I am concerned that if they die, I will lose the possessions that they do have. Will I be able to inherit from them when they pass away?


The short answer is no. If you are not legally adopted and there is no valid will which bequeaths the estate, or part of it, to you, you will not be entitled to inherit.

To inherit where there is no valid will – referred to as intestate succession – requires a child to be either the biological or adopted child of the parents.

Adoption is the process where an adult assumes the parenting rights and responsibilities from the biological parents or legal guardians of a child who is under 18 years of age. Adoption is a permanent change in the status of a child and must take place through a court order. Children who have been legally adopted in terms of our law are deemed to be the descendants of their adoptive parents, and cannot therefore be a descendant of their biological parents and inherit intestate from them.

An adopted child can therefore share in the estate of a deceased adoptive parent in the same way as a biological child, and will accordingly be able to inherit intestate should there be no will.

Whether growing up with parents is sufficient to entitle a person to inherit from them even if not formally adopted, our courts have found that unless an adoption process has been completed, a child that is not the biological child of the parents, cannot inherit intestate from them, irrespective of whether the child has grown up with the parents or even had an adoption process underway. Such a child will, however, remain a natural descendant of their biological parents and will be entitled to inherit intestate from such parents.

In your situation,it would be appropriate to raise the issue of inheritance with them and have a will drafted that establishes your right to inherit from them.

  • Kate Menezes, candidate attorney, Phatshoane Henney Attorneys.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.