Can I institute legal action?

2019-07-24 06:00
Corlia van Zyl

Corlia van Zyl

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


I live in a sectional title that used to have beautiful common property areas.

For the last year or two, however, the owners have been causing damage to these garden areas and walkways and the body corporate is doing nothing to stop it.

Can I take legal action against the owners that are causing the damage, or can only the body corporate do something?


According to the Sectional Title Schemes Management Act (STSMA), the body corporate of a sectional title scheme is the entity responsible for the enforcement of the rules, the control, administration and management of the scheme and the common property for the benefit of all the owners in such scheme.

The STSMA states that the body corporate has the capacity to sue for any damage to the common property or in respect of any matter in connection with the land or building for which the body corporate is liable or for which the owners are jointly liable.

But, if the body corporate does nothing, can an owner then institute action on behalf of the body corporate?

This point arose in a recent Constitutional Court case where the Court had to consider when an owner may institute action on behalf of a body corporate.

Although the case refers to the sections of the repealed Sectional Titles Act 95 of 1986, the relevant principles and wording can be applied to section 9 of the STSMA.

Section 9 of the STSMA makes provision for the instances when an owner may institute action on behalf of the body corporate, as well as the steps to be taken.

Should an owner be of the opinion that he or the body corporate is suffering damages or loss in terms of the above-mentioned instances where the body corporate may sue and the body corporate has not instituted any action to recover the damages or enforce the rules, such an owner must first serve the body corporate with a written notice demanding action within one month from date of service of the letter.

Should the body corporate fail to take the necessary steps within one month, the owner may apply to the court for the appointment of a curator ad litem for the body corporate for the purpose of instituting action on behalf of the body corporate.

The court will request an investigation into the matter by the curator ad litem. If satisfied with the investigation, the court will confirm the appointment of the curator ad litem and order him to proceed with instituting action on behalf of the body corporate.

The Constitutional Court looked at the wording of Section 9 and whether it was an infringement of an individual owner in the scheme’s constitutional right to freely institute legal action in a court of law.

The court concluded that Section 9 is a justified limitation on such owner’s constitutional right to institute legal action in a court of law and that Section 9 is to protect the body corporate against unnecessary claims on its behalf, which are without merit.

What this means, is that an indivi­dual owner can institute action on behalf of the body corporate, but will have to comply with the provisions of section 9 of the STSMA and follow the correct notice procedures and applications.

Given the above facts, it would be wise to discuss any proposed course of legal action with your attorney first.

Consider approaching your body corporate formally with a complaint before embarking on legal action. – Corlia van Zyl, senior associate, Phatshoane Henney Attorneys


Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.