Case postponed again

2018-07-25 06:01

The case against Andile Banzini Gxamza (34), one of the accused in the brutal murder of Bloemfontein tavern owner Alfred Helepi, has been postponed to August.

Postponement is due to change of legal representation by the accused.

Gxamza made his second appearance in the Bloemfontein Magistrate’s Court on Monday (23/07) to apply for bail.

Gxamza briefly appeared in court on 9 July after he was rearrested earlier this month in Port Elizabeth.

According to Capt. S’fiso Nyakane, the Hawks provincial spokesperson, Gxamza remains in custody until his next appearance and also as part of the ongoing investigation that includes an intensive search for his accomplices.

“The case was adjourned because the accused, Gxamza, changed his attorney, opting to a private attorney,” said Nyakane.

He said Gxamza had previously enlisted the services of an attorney from the Legal Aid Board until a change of mind during his appearance on Monday.

The accused has pending charges of theft and housebreaking in Port Elizabeth apart from the murder charges relating to Helepi.

Helepi was affectionately known as Chencha.

Nyakane said the Hawks made another breakthrough in the murder of Helepi after the police in Lesotho arrested Ntsane Togowe (38) from Bloemfontein.

Smith, as Togowe is also known, handed himself over previously and was granted bail of R1 000.

However, Togowe disappeared mysteriously in October during his trial for the murder of Helepi.

The trial was held in the Bloemfontein High Court.

After his disappearance, Judge P.E. Moletsoane authorised a warrant to rearrest Togowe.

Nyakane said measures were already in place to deport Togowe from Lesotho to Bloemfontein where he is expected to stand trial for the murder of Helepi.

Lawrence Tshabalala, attorney of Legal Aid South Africa, represented Togowe.

According to documents, the other accused are Lesotho nationals Dira Moreenyane (33), Nthabiseng Lempe (33) and Alice Majake (28).

They were released along with Togowe and Gxamza on 11 November 2016.

The five were represented by Legal Aid South Africa’s Machini Motloung and Saintin Seitheisho.

Motloung argued that the matter had been postponed on numerous occasions to allow the state to conduct further investigations, yet they still did not have a docket.

He further argued that the charges be struck off the court roll as the state did not have a case.

Helepi, a former Moroka Swallows player, was killed on 29 March 2016 at his business place in Phahameng, Bloemfontein.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.