Covid-19 screenin

2020-04-08 06:02
The Free State Department of Health health practitioners hands on deck conducting Coronavirus (Covid-19) screening in Freedom Square, Bloemfontein on Saturday (04/04). The provincial capital has been identified by the department as epicentre of the Covid-19 pandemic following high number of confirmed cases of the globally life-threatening virus. Photo: Teboho Setena

The Free State Department of Health health practitioners hands on deck conducting Coronavirus (Covid-19) screening in Freedom Square, Bloemfontein on Saturday (04/04). The provincial capital has been identified by the department as epicentre of the Covid-19 pandemic following high number of confirmed cases of the globally life-threatening virus. Photo: Teboho Setena

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The Free State Department of Health has confirmed that eight healthcare workers tested positive to Coronavirus (Covid-19). This comes as the department scale-up screening for Covid-19 at the various designated sites with repeat in Bloemfontein effectively from 11 to 16 April.

According to Mondli Mvambi, spokesperson for the Department of Health, the healthcare workers contracted the virus whilst on duty. He said there also new recoveries confirmed, 45, bring the total to 54 recoveries with the nine previously confirmed.

Mvambi said repeat of mass screening will follow the first phase of mass screening underway until Friday (10 April). Repeat for mass screening is based on the provincial government findings that Bloemfontein is the epicentre of Covid-19 due to increase in the number of confirmed positive cases. A visibly distraught Free State Premier Sisi Ntombela, reveal last Friday, the provincial capital remains the epicentre of Covid-19 with high number of confirmed cases and deaths – two thus far. The first positive case was detected in the City of Roses. By yesterday, the Free State had 89 confirmed cases in total at the time of going to print. The province reported two deaths out of the death toll of 12.

Confirmed positive cases in South Africa stood at 1686 by yesterday.

The provincial Department of Health calls on citizens to come forward for free screening aimed at curbing Covid-19 widespread - further urging residents to adhere to precautions measures – regularly washing hands with soap for at least 20 seconds and practice social distancing.

Mvambi said mass screening in Bloemfontein will be repeated any sites that still have outstanding contacts needing to be screened. “The department is asking all members of the community that had contact with Covid-19 positive people or have been exposed to the Covid-19 environments, to avail themselves for screening to determine eligibility to test for Covid-19,” said Mvambi.

Mass screening began on last Thursday (03/04) in Heidedal, resulting in four referrals out of 787 people that were screened for the pandemic.

According to Mvambi, response by the public was encouraging. “Communities are responding well to the call to participate in mass screening. We noticed that at the beginning people demanded screening because of fear and anxiety, but trend is changing now into the desire for good health seeking behaviour. Now people are demanding to be screened and tested because they now want to know their status,” said Mvambi.

Screening sites

•Phase 5, 7 and 9 on 6 to 8 April 2020

•Bergman on 6 to 8 April 2020

•Bloemspruit on 6 to 8 April 2020

•Rocklands on 9 April 2020

•Bloemanda and Phase 2 on 10 April 2020

NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.