Damning evidence enough to proceed with case

2018-04-25 06:01

The brutal murder case of Moshupi Sedibe (42) is set to continue in the Bloemfontein Magistrate’s Court on 3 May.

The Bloemfontein police received DNA results from the Forensic Science Laboratory in Pretoria, giving them the green light to proceed with the case.

Katlego Selokoane (23) is the prime suspect.

The suspect has been in custody since his arrest in November last year and the state denied his bail application in his previous appearances.

The case has been pending since November while the police were awaiting the forensic results. Blood samples of the deceased woman were sent to the forensic laboratory to determine the cause of death and confirm the identity of the victim.

Sedibe’s body was discovered at the Hamilton sewage dam in Bloemfontein. Because her body was burnt, the police were unable to positively identify her.

Col. Thandi Mbambo, provincial police spokesperson, said the DNA results confirmed that the body was that of Sedibe.

Her body was found at the dam three days after she was reported as missing.

The police also sent samples of blood and human flesh, as well as traces of a burnt mattress to the forensic laboratory. The samples were all found in the suspect’s yard.

Mbambo said the doctor’s preliminary findings could not determine whether or not she was raped.

The doctor’s findings revealed that Sedibe was hit on the back of the head with a blunt object.

According to Mbambo, the forensic investigation established a connection between the suspect and the victim, and determined beyond reasonable doubt that the body found was indeed that of Sedibe.

Mbambo said Selokoane was arres­ted because of prima facie evidence.

“After much interrogation, he led the police to the dam where the body was found. Further investigation led the police into Selokoane’s yard, where traces of blood and human flesh were found, as well as a burnt mattress.”

It is believed that Sedibe was killed over a quarrel about a tree. over a tree whose leaves were hanging into her yard at her house in Bloemanda.

Sedibe had reportedly confronted her neighbour, Selokoane, about the branches of his tree hanging over into her yard.

According to Mbambo, Sedibi repor­tedly informed her children where she was going on the day of the murder, and when she would be back.

However, she never returned home.

After Sedibe’s murder, her two children, aged five and three, were sent to an orphanage.


Inside News24


Matric Results are coming soon!

Notify me when results become available

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.