Developer could also pay levies

2018-02-07 06:01
Corlia van Zyl

Corlia van Zyl

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


I have developed a small sectional title scheme in town with a few units.

Most of the units have been sold and the body corporate has been established.

The body corporate has now requested me to also contribute to the levies of the scheme. Am I as the de­veloper required to do so?


On closer inspection of the Sectional Title Schemes Management Act 8 of 2011 (“Act”) the developer forms part of the body corporate, and the Act and its financial obligations are also applicable to the de­veloper.

In respect of the payment of levies in the scheme, it is important to differentiate between units that are already registered in the name of the developer and where the developer is the holder of a right to extend the scheme.

If units are already registered in the name of the developer, the developer is regarded as the owner of those units in terms of the Act and will therefore be liable to contribute to the administrative, as well as the reserve, fund of the scheme for those specific units.

In a recent High Court case it was stated that in the event of a developer being the owner of a right to extend the scheme, the body corporate may recover from the developer an additional contribution, but only for the actual amounts spent on the actual part of the common property reserved in terms of the right to extend.

Only when the units are completed on the common property where the right to extend was reserved, and the sectional plans to extend are registered in the Deeds Office, will levies become payable to the body corporate by the developer in respect of these units.

Should the developer fail to register the sectional plan of extension within a reasonable time after completion of the units, the body corporate may request payment of levies towards the reserve fund. The latter is to ensure that developers do not evade their financial obligations.

So yes, a developer can be required to contribute to the levies.

If you are uncertain as to the extent of your obligations as developer, it would be prudent to consult with a property specialist to help you determine your exact financial obligations.

– Corlia van Zyl, associate, Phatshoane Henney Attorneys

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.