Does insurance cover damages due to unrest?

2017-09-13 06:01
Jaco van den Berg

Jaco van den Berg

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


With all the civil unrest caused by striking workers, political rallies and student actions such as #feesmustfall, I was wondering whe-ther insurance companies are required to pay out insured persons or companies whose property is damaged by these incidents.


Most insurance policies have a clause that excludes the liability of the insurance company when property is damaged due to civil unrest, war or terrorism.

A typical exemption clause in your insurance contract would read:

“This policy does not cover loss of or damage to property related to or caused by civil commotion, labour disturbances, riot, strike, lockout or public disorder or any act or activity which is calculated or directed to bring about any of the aforegoing.”

Given that your insurance policy probably excludes liability for this particular risk, it is important to add Sasria cover to your short-term insurance policy to cover the eventuality of this risk.

Sasria stands for South African Special Risks Insurance Association.

It is a state-owned short-term insurance company.

This company was established in the late 1970’s following the increase of political unrest in South Africa after the 1976 upri-sings.

Sasria provides cover to corporate, commercial and individual policyholders for special risks other insurance companies do not cover.

These special risks include riots, strikes, terrorism, civil commotion and public disorder.

Sasria is the only insurer in South Africa that provides cover for damage caused during these kinds of incidents.

  • Sasria cover includes: additional cover for business interruption;) cover for damage to vehicles; and ) insurance cover against material damage, which includes anything that is not covered by other categories.

Sasria does not, how- ever, do business directly with the public, and provides added cover to an existing short-term insu- rance policy.

However, most insurance companies add Sasria cover to their policies for a very low additional fee.

In order to claim the damages through Sasria, the incident that caused the damage must be reported to the police and the incident must have occurred in South Africa.

For any policy holder to claim for damage under their Sasria cover, they will have to claim in the same way as with any other claim from their own insurer.

Their insurer will in turn liaise directly with Sasria on their behalf to ensure that the claim, if valid, is paid out.

Although most policies include Sasria cover, it would be advisable for any short-term insurance policy holder to check their policy conditions or inquire from their insurance broker whether they have Sasria cover.
– Jaco van den Berg, candidate attorney, Phatshoane Henney Attorneys


Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.