Dumping site suspects still behind bars

2018-08-15 06:00

Two men linked to robbery and assault at the Bloemfontein waste dumping site remain behind bars after their bail application was turned down.

The suspects, Itireleng Mophethe (29) and Tsokotla Matlabe (23), had their bail application opposed during their reappearance in the Bloemfontein Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, 7 August.

Col. Thandi Mbambo, provincial police spokes­person, said the two men faced charges of robbery and assault involving alleged incidents with two seperate victims at the landfill site this year. She said the first incident allegedly took place in February and the second in July.

Mbambo said the case would be heard in the regional court, starting on 31 August, after it was transferred as part of further investigation.

She said Matlabe and Mophethe had been out on R500 bail at the time they were arrested for the second robbery at the dumping site.

She said the alleged dumping site robbers were later arrested after committing crimes in the two separate incidents.

“They allegedly pretended to be helping the male victim offload garbage and thereafter threatened him with his gas gun, assaulted and robbed him of a cellphone.

“They used the same modus operandi as in the first case to rob the victim of a cellphone,” said Mbambo.

She said security officers who were called to the scene arrested the two suspects and recovered the stolen items.

“During investigation it emerged that Mophethe was wanted for alleged housebreaking and theft incidents that happened in the Kagisanong area in 2014 and the Parkweg area in 2017,” said Mbambo.

She said investigation was still ongoing into another robbery case at the landfill site, in which two suspects, aged 16 and 21, were implicated.

“They face a charge of robbery with aggravating circumstances after robbing a male victim of two cellphones and a wallet containing cash on 31 July.

“The victim went to dispose of garbage at the dumping site when he was robbed.

“Increased security visibility at the dumping site area and integrated multidisciplinary activities between the police, security and the community yields positive results in the arrest of suspects and recovery of items belonging to the victims,” said Mbambo.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.