Insolvency not the final call

2019-05-01 06:01
Jonathan le Riche

Jonathan le Riche

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


I own a few commercial properties that I rent out to businesses.

Recently it has come to my attention that one of my longstanding tenants is going under financially.

He has nearly two years left on his term.

Can I terminate his rental agreement if he becomes insolvent?


Generally rental agreements will contain a clause that stipulates that the lease agreement will terminate upon the insolvency of the tenant.

However, such provisions may not provide the necessary protection if the provisions of the Insolvency Act 24 of 1936 are not properly con­sidered.

Section 37 of the Act determines that the liquidation or sequestration of a tenant cannot automatically lead to the termination of a lease agreement.

It also determines that instead of an automatic cancellation of the lease, the trustee of the insolvent estate (who will be appointed by the Master of the High Court) has the authority to decide, by way of written notice, to either terminate or to con­tinue with the lease.

The trustee must do so within three months of being appointed.

This means that a landlord may have to wait up to three months before a decision is made by the trustees to continue or terminate the lease.

If, however, a rental agreement has specific breach provisions, it may be worthwhile to consider whether the tenant is not in breach and if the rental agreement could be terminated on such grounds before the tenant is declared insolvent.

However, if this option is not available and the tenant is declared insolvent, the landlord will have no choice but to contact the trustee of the insolvent estate and enquire as to whether the lease will continue or not.

Fortunately, all rent due under the current lease will be paid as costs of administration and accordingly the landlord will be paid before the secured or preferent creditors of the insolvent estate.

In your situation, it would therefore be prudent to ask your attorney to review the current rental agreement and assist you to navigate the situation correctly with your “in trouble” tenant.

– Jonathan le Riche, associate, Phatshoane Henney Attorneys


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.