Man’s case for multiple crimes postponed

2018-06-13 06:00
Mokena Nhlapo Photo: Facebook

Mokena Nhlapo Photo: Facebook

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The Fouriesburg Magistrate’s Court has postponed the hearing of the case against Mokena Petrus Nhlapo to 2 July for further investigation.

Nhlapo reappeared on Monday (11/06) and remains in custody until his next appearance.

He first appeared in court on 4 June following his arrest in Fouriesburg on 1 June by the Bethlehem Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences’ unit (FCS).

Nhlapo is an ANC member and works as an intervention officer at the Maluti-a-Phofung Local Municipality.

According to his Facebook profile, he originates from Port Elizabeth.

Nhlapo is facing charges ranging from alleged kidnapping, human trafficking for sexual purpo­ses, assault, pointing of a firearm, rape, extortion, crimen injuria and the illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition.

The charges relate to a complaint by a woman, in her 20’s, who alleged that the suspect lured her via social media.

Zweli Mohobeleli, Bethlehem police spokesperson, said the case was postponed to allow Nhlapo to get legal representation and he is set to apply for bail on 5 July.

He said ten victims, mostly from Lesotho, have come forth with allegations of the crimes Nhlapo is facing with.

Mohobeleli said the first victim accepted Nhlapo’s invitation on Facebook in February. This was followed by a face-to-face meeting in April whereupon she was taken to a house in Fouriesburg were the alleged crimes took place.

Nhlapo’s arrest followed the sharing of a post on social media with photos of him attached. The post was shared about 200 times.

Mohobeleli said investigation into the alleged string of crimes against him was ongoing.

In April last year, there were media reports which emerged after models from Lesotho accused Nhlapo of allegedly swindling them out of their money after promising them modelling contracts and prizes. Nhlapo refuted the allegation in a report pu­blished in Lesotho’s Sunday Express (“SA conman dupes local models” on 13 April 2017).

According to him the money he received from the girls was for a modelling campaign he intended to hold in South Africa with Lesotho’s Beauty Pageant Association of Lesotho (BPAL).

“I am a prominent politician in the Free State, and a former member of the EFF who is currently under the ruling ANC”, Nhlapo said.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.