Little Kananelo Shuping (3) had a narrow and amazing escape from death recently, after an attack by a swarm of bees left him unconcious on 29 December. While everyone was doing the countdown to the new year, Kananelo, of Bosrag, Kuruman, was fighting for his life in the Batlharos Hospital. He was later transferred to the intensive care unit at the Kimberley Hospital Complex. Kananelo spent 14 days in intensive care before being transferred to a paediatric ward on Monday, 16 January. He had made a miraculous recovery by the time he was discharged on Wednesday (18/01).This little boy had become the talk of Kuruman, as everyone doubted that he would survive the ordeal. Kananelo was attacked by bees while in the veld with his older brother and friends.Upon his rescue by members of the community, he was lying motionless on the ground with his head, ears and eyes covered in bees.Some of the bees were moving in and out of his open mouth, from where white foam was starting to emerge. He was left unrecognisable by the bee stings.While he was in hospital, people would visit to see how he was doing.His mother, Onkarabetse Pinas, talks about the ordeal with a sense of humour, in an effort to hide the pain of what she went through after the incident.Looking at the scars on his head, face and ears, she thanks the staff of the Kimberley Hospital Complex for saving her son’s life.“Modimo o phala baloi waitse. Ngwanake wa dinotshi o makaditse dichaba ebile be santse ba tlile go makalela go mmona,” she said, smiling about her miracle. “God is great, this child of mine mesmerised everyone after this terrible ordeal.“They (doctors and nurses of the Kimberley Hospital Complex) never gave me the idea that they could not do anything, which kept me positive.” She describes how she almost lost hope and she and her partner struggled to fight back the tears when a sister at the Batlharos Hospital called them aside and told them to prepare for the worst, as they were trying their best to save Kananelo’s life. “He was completely unrecognisable from the swelling and some of the other patients helped me to remove stings from his face, eyes and ears.“He had swallowed some of the bees and the doctor’s report indicated that his kidneys had been affected when the bees entered his mouth. “A dead bee would emerge from his mouth whenever he sneezed, and when he was relieving himself.“He could not eat, because his insides were sore and whenever he relieved himself, there would be dead bees,” she says.