2018-06-13 06:01
Chiara Claassens

Chiara Claassens

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


I have a medium-sized construction business. We recently had our BEE partner buy a stake in our business.

I have heard that you are now required to register your BEE transactions with the new B-BBEE Commission.

Is this correct and will I have to register our transaction?


You are correct in that the B-BBEE Commission does require what is termed a “Major BEE Transaction” to be registered with it.

Your first step would therefore be to determine whether your BEE transaction falls within the scope of a Major BEE Transaction.

In accordance with Notice 551 in Government Gazette No 40898, a Major B-BBEE Transaction refers to any transaction between entities or parties that results in Ownership Recognition in terms of the Code Series 100, Statement 100 of the Amended BEE Codes of Good Practice, and the value of which equals or exceeds R25 million.

The threshold is based on the value of the transaction excluding administration fees, professional fees and legal fees, which means that only the value of the sale of the asset or business or equity instrument is taken into account.

If your transaction value was potentially above this threshold it may need to be registered.

As of 9 June 2017, all Major B-BBEE Transactions must be registered with the B-BBEE Commission, within 15 days of concluding the B-BBEE transaction.

Registration occurs by submitting the prescribed form B-BBEE 18 and supporting documentation to the B-BBEE Commission.

The form can be found on the B-BBEE Commission website at

It is important to note that in respect of Major B-BBEE Transactions concluded between 24 October 2014 and 8 June 2017, the registration requirement is retrospective in that B-BBEE transactions must have been registered with the B-BBEE Commission within 60 calendar days from 9 June 2017.

The purpose of registering a Major B-BBEE Transaction is to allow for the monitoring of compliance, levels of transformation, and the extent to which the benefits of transaction flow to black persons that are part of these deals.

If you are unsure as to whether your transaction should have been registered or how to go about registering the transaction, we would advise you to obtain the assistance of an attorney or BEE specialist to help you.
– Chiara Claassens, candidate attorney, Phatshoane Henney Attorneys


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.