"ST David's - a gem in the Midlands". This is how Ronnie Todd, KZN Regional Director of the Independent Schools Association of Southern Africa, described our school in the Independent Education magazine. He saw we had achieved our vision, a little school providing a high standard of education at an affordable price in a warm and supportive environment. This year we proudly celebrate the 25th anniversary of its founding as a primary school in 1992.St David's began as a seed planted by the Anglican Diocese of Natal when it challenged parishes to become involved in church-based education and to establish community schools. It then developed into a dream in the minds of Reverend Reg Morgan, Rector of St James Parish, Greytown and a small group of teachers, who were full of enthusiasm to convert this dream into reality.In 1991 the Little Elephant Pre-Primary School opened in a small house on the adjoining church property as an independent, multiracial, community school serving the Umvoti district. The following year the primary school was born with an enrollment of eight Grade 1 pupils and accommodation in Leuchars Hall next to St James Church. As the school grew it expanded into the adjoining church rooms and even the rectory lounge.Three years later the name of the primary school was changed to St David's Diocesan School. The original St David's School had been established in 1900 by Eyton Pritchard Owen in his house on the lower slopes of the Greytown hill, where it flourished until 1948. At that time there were still people in the district who had begun their schooling at the original St David's House and were very excited about the school's rebirth. It was decided to name the primary school in honour of its illustrious predecessor. The two houses in the school, Newmarch and Slatter, record two of these families.St David's has since expanded to include Grade 1 to Grade 7, an average enrollment of 140, and a staff of seven teachers.Its 25th birthday will be celebrated with a fun day at school for the children and a special Service of Thanksgiving at St James' Church on Saturday 19 August, to which former pupils and friends of the school are cordially invited.