FOUR people died due to electrocution in Mbulwane over the weekend after a lighting conductor they were allegedly trying to move accidentally came into contact with a live electricity wire. The lighting conductor had been erected near a kraal at the Sibiya family home in the Njengabantu area, near Greytown. Two of the four people who died were members of the Sibiya family. Councillor Nosipho Mkhize said the Sibiya family were unhappy when the pole was erected near the kraal after the uMzinyathi District Municipality supplied the residents of Mbulwane with lightning conductors.“The lighting conductor was near the kraal, however, the family raised concerns about the spot where it was erected. They did not want it near their houses because they felt it was not safe. “I advised them to wait until the construction company [could come] to remove it and erect it at another spot,” Mkhize said. uMzinyathi District Municipality spokesperson Nomonde Nzimakwe said the mayor, Petros Ngubane, visited the Sibiya family following the tragedy. Ngubane said: “We are deeply saddened by this unfortunate turn of events. We regret the loss of life in such a gruesome manner, and encourage our citizens to be extra careful around power lines and to not tamper with lightning conductors. “If you have a problem with your lightning conductor, contact our Disaster Management officials to assist you. “My condolences go out to the families of the deceased, may they rest in eternal peace, and I wish the injured a speedy recovery,” Ngubane said.