‘JUSTICE SYSTEM FAILED US’ — murder victim’s family

2019-08-21 06:02
The Greytown Magistrate’s court. PHOTO:andile sithole

The Greytown Magistrate’s court. PHOTO:andile sithole

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

THE family of a 67-year old man who was shot dead in Ntembisweni on August claim that the justice system has failed them after two suspects charged with the murder didn’t appear in the Greytown Magistrate’s Court on August 12.

Mqondeni Zondi was shot dead while he was travelling on the D77 Ntembisweni Road near Greytown on August 5.

According to the police, three armed men blocked Zondi’s path of travel and dragged him out of his vehicle. The suspects shot him in the head before setting his bakkie and belongings alight.

Two suspects, aged 28 and 30, were due to appear at the Greytown Magistrate’s Court last week. After the suspects did not appear in court, the daughter of the deceased, Hlengiwe Zondi, said family members and Ntembisweni residents are demanding answers from the police.

“We were initially told to wait for the magistrate, but when we asked if the suspects were going to appear in court, we were fed another story.

“Other officers in court said there was no evidence linking the suspects to the murder.

“As the Zondi family we feel that the justice system has failed us. There’s no one willing to come forward and explain to us why there was no court appearance.”

Zondi’s body was found by a farmer in Ntembisweni.

Charges of murder and malicious damage to property were opened at Greytown SAPS.

According to a police statement sent last week, the first suspect was arrested in the Ntembisweni area.

He was found in possession of a firearm with 18 rounds of ammunition. A second suspect was arrested in Makhabeleni near Kranskop.

In a statement sent by the police last week, Colonel Thulani Zwane said: “A vehicle that was used in the commission of the offence was also seized from the [first] suspect and was impounded for further investigation.

“The remaining suspect is still being sought by police.”

Speaking on why the suspects did not appear in court, Zwane said : “The case was provisionally withdrawn from court pending further investigation.”

NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.