Small Claims Court procedures

2018-02-07 06:00

THE Small Claims Court operates out of the Magistrate’s Court in Greytown and sits once or twice a month depending on the number of cases.

Anyone as an individual (no companies, corporates or associations) can institute a claim not exceeding R15 000. With the exception of the State, municipalities and local government, claims can be instituted against anyone, companies, corporates and other entities that fall within the area of jurisdiction of the court.

If after contacting the person either face to face, telephonically or in writing, and there is still no payment, then approach the Small Claim clerk at the Magistrate’s Court. He or she will give you a letter of demand to complete in duplicate. The letter then has to be delivered in person or by registered post. If no payment is received after 14 days you again approach the court clerk with proof that the letter of demand was received by the defendant.The next step is that the clerk will assist with the framing of a basic summons and allocate the case and a date for the hearing in the small claims court. You have to then serve this summons on the defendant.

Unless the defendant denies liability in writing to the court, he or she has to appear in court on the stipulated date, or pay up prior to that date and pay your costs. In court itself, have all the papers relevant to the case with you and relevant witnesses. No advocates or attorneys are allowed to appear for you in this court. A ruling is given by the commissioner after the defendant has presented his or her case.If you win, the defendant has to pay you, usually within seven days. If the money is still not forthcoming you can apply for a warrant of execution against the defendant’s moveable property. The case is then transferred to the Magistrate’s Court. No appeal may be filed against the judgment or order of the court.


• absence of jurisdiction by the court;

• interest in the case, bias or corruption on the part of the commissioner; or

• gross irregularity on the part of the commissioner.

Many people do not take action when owed money because of high legal cost.

As long as your claim falls within the gambit of the Small Claims Court and follows the criteria mentioned above, take it the Small Claims Court.


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.