TEEN RAPED, held captive for two weeks

2019-08-28 06:00

A 17-YEAR-OLD girl was allegedly held captive and raped by a 57-year-old man in a room outside Greytown for almost two weeks.

After being chained to the leg of a table with handcuffs, the victim told police that the suspect raped her repeatedly at his home.

The Gazette established that prior to the alleged rape incident, the suspect had proposed to marry the victim during an annual church festival held in Durban in January.

According to information supplied to the police, the accused sent his negotiators to the victim’s family to start lobolo discussions with her parents in February.

The Gazette also established that the suspect paid about R12 000 cash to the victim’s family. According to information supplied to the Gazette, in mid-February, after lobolo negotiations were finalised, the victim broke up with the accused. The reason for the break-up is unclear, however, it is alleged that the victim dated another man after she broke up with the accused.

According to police sources, the accused kidnapped the victim in June in an attempt to force her into marriage.

The victim was on her way home from church when the suspect and two other men abducted her. She was then transported to a rural area outside of Greytown where she was held captive in the suspect’s house for almost two weeks.

“After proposing at church, the accused heard that his ‘fiancé’ was having an affair with another man.

“A neighbour who heard the screams of the victim at the suspect’s house alerted the police,” a source said.

The suspect was arrested on August 6 and the case was transferred to the Greytown Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences unit for investigation. The accused appeared in the Greytown Magistrate’s Court on a rape charge on August 7. He was granted R2 000 bail and the matter was postponed for further investigation.

Police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Thulani Zwane said: “It is alleged that between June 28 and July 8, a 17-year-old woman from [Greytown] was kidnapped and raped by a 57-year-old man. She was rescued by the police who were searching for her.

“The suspect from Entembisweni was arrested and charged for rape and kidnapping. He appeared in court on August 6 and was granted R2 000 bail. He will be back in court on September 26.”


Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.