Fighting poverty with social grants

2015-06-09 06:00

WITH the constant increases in prices on the basic necessities for survival (food, water, electricity) many Upper Highway residents are finding it difficult to make ends meet.

However relief is available in the form of social assistance by the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA).

According to Vusi Mahaya, the senior manager of communication at SASSA, social assistance is an income transfer in the form of grants provided by government.

“A social grant refers grants paid by the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) that is disability grant, a grant for older persons and a war veteranand#039;s grant, foster child grant, care dependency grant, child support grant and a grant-in-aid,” he said.

Mahaya said that there are many requirements for one to collect the grants.

He said for the grant for older persons, the applicant must be a South African citizen or a permanent resident and must be 60 years or older.

For the disability grant the applicant must be a South African citizen or a permanent resident or refugee.

“The applicant must be 18 to 59 years of age and must submit a medical or assessment report confirming disability,” said Mahaya.

He said the medical assessment must not be older than three months at date of application.

For the war veteranand#039;s grant the applicant must be a South African citizen or permanent resident and must be 60 years and over or must be disabled.

The applicant must have fought in the Second World War or the Korean War.

“The foster child grant the applicant and child must be resident in South African and a court order indicating foster care status,” said Mahaya.

“The foster parent must be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee and the child must remain in the care of the foster parent.”

The child support grant states that the primary care giver must be a South African citizen or permanent resident and both the applicant and the child must reside in South Africa.

Mahaya said the applicant must be the primary care giver of the child/children concerned and the child or children must have been born after 31 December 1993.

“The applicant and spouse must meet the requirements of the means test; cannot apply for more than six non biological children,” said Mahaya.

“The child can not be cared for in state institution.”

Lastly for grant-in-aid the applicant must be in receipt of a grant for older persons, disability grant or a war veterans’s grant, and require full time attendance by another person owing to his or her physical or mental disabilities.

“The applicant must not be cared for in an institution that receives subsidy by the state for the care or housing of such beneficiary.”

In addition Mahaya said that the applicants’ spouse must comply with the means test and must not be maintained or cared for in a state institution or must not be in receipt of another social grant for himself.

“All applicants must submit a 13 digit bar coded identity document,” he said.

To apply for a grant or for more information, visit the nearest SASSA office

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.