Finalists for SA Bike of the Year

2015-07-07 06:01
PHOTO: sourced

BMW’s R1200GS (pictured) was crowned the 2013 South African Bike of the Year two years ago.

PHOTO: sourced BMW’s R1200GS (pictured) was crowned the 2013 South African Bike of the Year two years ago.

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

THIS year is shaping up to be a treat for bike enthusiasts, with more than 30 new models announced.

Being spoilt for choice also means the number of finalists for the 2015 SA Bike of the Year has more than doubled.

As has become customary, a panel of 14 South African motorcycling journalists, drawn from a variety of publications, will have three days to test the cream of SA’s biking crop before casting their votes.

Finalists are (in no particular order):

• Kawasaki Ninja H2

• Yamaha R1

• BMW S1000RR

• Aprilia RSV 1000

• Ducati 1299 Panigale

• Ducati Multistrada

• KTM 1290 Super Adventure

• Triumph Tiger 800 XCx

• Aprilia Caponord Rally

• Ducati Scrambler

• Indian Scout

• Harley Davidson Street 750

• BMW RnineT

• Yamaha Tracer

• Suzuki GSX-S 1000F

• Zero S

Where the 2014 list was dominated by naked bikes, the 2015 competition is more evenly spread among the various categories (though with a slight bias towards sport bikes).

There are a number of interesting machines on the list but the two potentially game-changing machines likely to attract a lot of attention are the supercharged Kawasaki Ninja H2 and the innovative Zero electric bike.

The bikes will be judged objectively (within their specific categories) against several set criteria to ensure that each bike stands an equal chance of winning. This will make up 70% of the score, with the remaining 30% reserved for the judges’ subjective impressions.

The greater portion of the testing will take place on the “Twenty-two”, the popular 22km strip of twisty road between Hazyview and Sabie in Mpumalanga. Most of the bikes will be ridden from Gauteng to Mpumalanga to allow the judges to assess their open-road performance (exceptions, such as the Zero with its limited range, will be trailered).

There will also be opportunities for off-road and track riding, depending on the category of bike.

In the interests of transparency Lachlan Harris, the national director of the Association of Motorcycle Importers and Distributors (AMID), will accompany the judges as an independent observer and the judges’ score sheets will be made available to the importers.

The date the winner will be announced has not been finalised but we will tell you as soon as we know.

Bike of the Year is now in its third year and the previous two years’ awards have led to considerable debate. - Wheels24

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.