More dogs POISONED pET OWNERS SHARE STORIES Housebreakers nabbed after killing dog

2015-05-26 06:00

THE poisoning of dogs is a national problem affecting both rural and urban areas and is closely linked to organised crime.

A seasoned investigator probing the use of poisons illegally in the country believes that countrywide “hundreds of dogs” are poisoned every month.

This week The Witness (Fever­’s sister paper) reported that dogs in the city were not immune to this deadly crime tactic with some vets recording at least three dogs a month being admitted for poisoning.

Gerhard Verdoorn, director of Griffon­ Poison Information Centre, said the use of aldicarb accounts for “probably more than 90% of poisoning cases” in which guard dogs are poisoned by criminals. The remaining 10% is considered accidental such as a dog eating rat poison placed inside a house.

With 25 years’ experience Ver- doorn­, who predominately assists the national Department of Agriculture and the SAPS, said aldicarb is the primary active substance used in some pesticides.

It is banned in parts of Europe and can no longer legally be sold in South Africa­.

Bayer GeoScience was once the sole distributor and manufacturer of aldicarb, which was used in its pesticide trademarked Temik. Bayer allowed its licence permitting it to produce the chemical to lapse in 2012 and Temik is no longer available on the market.

“Illegally imported, aldicarb is brought through the Mozambique and Zimbabwe border. What they are bringing in is not Temik. There are at least five different aldicarb [versions] being brought into the country. It is an unknown aldicarb.

“One Chinese aldicarb that we know of looks like gunpowder. It is very dangerous. Then there is other aldicarb that look like Temik, but are not. It is all used to kill dogs or game.

“Hundreds of dogs are killed a month and there is not a single place in the country that is not affected,” said Verdoorn.

He said it was not uncommon for entire farming communities to have their dogs poisoned and then their premises robbed.





A JOINT task team made up of private security recently got its claws into a housebreaking gang who had killed a dog just hours earlier.

The task team known as CAT also found a bottle of aldicarb in the suspects possession when the arrest was made in late April.

Aldicarb is known on the street as Two Step due to its ability to kill an animal in as many steps.

A source within the crime busting body said dogged police work saw them catch the suspects red-handed with a motorbike they had stolen just hours earlier. the bike was still on the back of the suspects’ bakkie.

The poison was found in the vehicle.

“The bike had been stolen in Hayfieds. There were four suspects but two managed to escape. Both arrested are foreign nationals. A dog had been poisoned at the house that was robbed,” said the source.

The two accused are currently in custody. They are likely to face charges of theft and damage to private property, the latter related to the dog murder. Pets are considered property of their owners


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.