Soccer bonanza to drive road safety message

2019-11-21 06:00
Patrick Sacks, Madodana Kota, Zoleka Kota and Leigh Sacks look forward to welcoming participants and supporters to the second Lukhanyo Memorial Soccer Tournament at Thornhill.                  Photo:SUPPLIED

Patrick Sacks, Madodana Kota, Zoleka Kota and Leigh Sacks look forward to welcoming participants and supporters to the second Lukhanyo Memorial Soccer Tournament at Thornhill. Photo:SUPPLIED

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

SIXTEEN teams are gearing up for a soccer tournament with a difference.

The second Lukhanyo Memorial Soccer Tournament is set to take place at the Thornhill Sportfield from November 29 to December 1 this year. Chief organiser, Madodana Kota, said the tournament was more than just a showcase for local talent.

“It also serves as a road safety awareness campaign,” he said.

“Many young people from Thornhill, including my son, Lukhanyo, have lost their lives in road accidents. The tournament is a way to remember them and to warn those travelling on the roads this festive season to drive responsibly.”

Lukhanyo was one of five teenagers who lost their lives in a horrific accident on the R102 near Thornhill in January 2016. He was just 15 years old.

“Lukhanyo loved soccer, so my wife and I decided to start this tournament in his memory and to combine it with a road safety message to help decrease the number of road accidents and deaths,” Kota said.

Kouga Municipality’s Community Services Portfolio Councillor, Daniel Benson, commended the organisers on the initiative.

“Each one of us has a role to play when it comes to road safety. The tournament is a fun way to get across a very important message, especially ahead of the summer holidays when the number of vehicles on the roads increases dramatically, “ he said.

The draw for the tourney recently took place at the Katrina Felix Hall in Thornhill.

Master of Ceremonies, Patrick Sacks, saluted Kota for transforming a tragedy into a way of empowering others.

“Leaders come up with solutions and our community is blessed to have leaders with such vision,” he said.

He further thanked Headbush Funeral Service and Victor Burton, convener of the Engen u.17 Knockout Challenge, for their support of the tourney.

“The tournament has doubled in size compared to that of last year when we started off with only eight teams,” he said.

Entrance to the tournament is R5 per person and R10 per vehicle.

NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 

Matric Results are coming soon!

Notify me when results become available

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.