THE Banda family in Sweetwaters say they feel undermined and disrespected by ward councillor Sbusiso Mtshali after a bridge project named after Cubic Banda was introduced to the community without any consultation with the family. Cubic Banda was a SABC journalist who fought tooth and nail with local government to build the road so that people could attend the funeral of a loved one. Thandeka Banda, who is his eldest child, told Echo that they did not know about the project until last Thursday, when they saw a story in Echo. Echo reported on the story as community members were protested and demanded that the contractor be formally introduced to them. “The bridge project was my father’s dream when he was still alive but it never happened. Since then we never heard anything about it until last week when we read about it in the paper. No one has ever come to us as his family to consult with us about naming the bridge after my father. We feel so disrespected and undermined. “This was my father’s dream and we are so disappointed that no one told us about it. We want answers from the ward councillor as to why we were never informed,” she said. Ward councillor Mtshali said it is not true that the family was never informed.“This is an old project under Banda projects. We engaged with the Banda family a long time ago when Banda was still alive. As much as the project is under Banda project, it is for the community, particularly Nadi community and Ward 2 community members. “We had a community meeting two weeks ago and one of the Banda family members was present. She asked to be involved in the project since she is from the Banda family... we will look it, but there are no vacancies at the moment.”“The agreement we had with her is that if something comes up within the project we will involve her since she said she is not working and since she is a family member of Banda, we feel it is the right thing to do,” he said.