Guardianship of children

2019-05-15 06:00

GUARDIANSHIP of children is a vital aspect of both children’s and parents’ lives. Globalisation is ever increasing in today’s world and more parents are now working further away from their homes, and even abroad in order to provide for their families.

This coupled with the fact that it is more common to see both parents working, has led to children being placed in boarding establishments and/or under the care of trusted family members or friends.

In such situations it is important for parents to have their proverbial ducks in a row with respect to their children’s lives, safety and well-being.

Although their children may be left in good hands, there are various day-to-day and emergency situations whereby the authorised guardian of the children ought to have certain legal rights when assisting the children, and should be assigned as the children’s legal guardian.

For example, if the parents are away and the child requires a passport, or if the child is rushed to hospital for an emergency, the guardian of the child would attend to this but may not have the legal authority to act in the child’s interests. However, if the guardian is a legal guardian of the child then they would be able to legally assist the child by giving medical consent, consent for the child to travel abroad, assist in administrative, contractual and other legal matters.

A legal guardian of a child should be a fit and proper person, responsible and a trusted friend or family member. If required, a legal guardian may be appointed by way of an application to the High Court of South Africa. Anyone who has an interest in the care, well-being and development of a child may apply to be the child’s guardian — here the court will consider the best interests of the child, the relationship between the applicant and the child and any other relevant person and the child, and any other factor that should, in the opinion of the court, be taken into account. The appointment of such a legal guardian has no effect on parental rights and responsibilities and would not make the legal guardian financially responsible for the children.

Should you wish to consult an attorney regarding the assigning of a legal guardian, or have any questions relating thereto, please feel free to contact our Family Law Attorney, Ms Whyona Sithapersad on 033 845 9700. — Supplied.


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.