Resident battles to get RAF claim since 1985

2016-03-16 06:00
PHOTO: nqobile mtolo Sbongile Florence Mthiyane is trying to claim from the RAF after an accident left her disabled in 1985.

PHOTO: nqobile mtolo Sbongile Florence Mthiyane is trying to claim from the RAF after an accident left her disabled in 1985.

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

SINCE 1985, Sbongile Florence Mthiyane from KwaQanda, a rural area outside Pietermaritzburg, has been going to various organisations asking them to help her claim from the Road Accident Fund (RAF) after a road accident.

She was travelling from a nearby farm where she worked when the accident happened and she was left disabled.

She now has to rely on her family to take care of her.

“In 1985 I was involved in a car accident while on my way from work. I was in hospital for six months. I have tried to get help, but no one has pointed me in the right direction.

“I am unable to manoeuvre around the house and rely on my children for assistance.

“The situation at home is bad and there are a lot of things I wish I could do for my family, but I can’t,” said Mthiyane.

She said the lack of information and knowledge on how one can get help to lodge a claim has inconvenienced her as many people have given her the wrong information.

“I have talked to my ward councillor and local authorities, but nothing has helped,” she said.

RAF spokesperson Thandeka Ngwenya said a claim cannot be lodged later than three years from the date of the accident.

“I don’t think she will be able to lodge her claim because that was a long time ago.

“It’s almost 31 years. In terms of the RAF Act all the claims must be lodged within the period of three years if the car of the wrong doer is known,” said Ngwenya.

RAF claims procedure:

• The claim is lodged on a prescribed statutory claim form which provides basic information on the claimant, the vehicles and parties involved in the collision, the date and place of accident and the amounts claimed. It also contains a medical report by the treating doctor.

• This claim form is accompanied by an affidavit setting out the full particulars of the accident, statements of witnesses, police reports, hospital and medical records, vouchers and documents in support of amounts claimed.

• The drivers of the vehicles involved in the collision must furnish details of the accident to the RAF on a statutory accident report form together with information of witnesses which the RAF may request.

• Once a claim is submitted, the RAF registers it on its claim system and commences with its investigations.

• The RAF determines whether the claim is valid and what the merits of the case are. The quantum is also determined which is the amount of the damages or losses suffered.

• If a claim is incomplete, the RAF calls for additional information and supporting documentation to enable it to better assess the matter.

• If the claim arose after the 31 July, 2008 and general damages are claimed, a Serious Injury Assessment Report must be submitted to the RAF confirming that the injury sustained is serious for the purposes of the Act.


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.