Speedy Stephen saves the day

2018-05-16 06:01
The remains of the kitchen after the fire.PHOTOS: supplied

The remains of the kitchen after the fire.PHOTOS: supplied

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

MONTROSE resident, Stephen Higgins came to the rescue after he was first to respond to Leisle Williams urgent plea for help on the Montrose Community Watch group after her kitchen had caught on fire on Saturday. Williams managed to safely evacuate the house with her children.

After Higgins wife alerted him of the problem, he sprung to action and rushed into the house where he extinguished the flames in the kitchen with his fire extinguishers

The kitchen in the house on Davenport Road was left to burn for 12 minutes until Higgins put out the fire.

“As soon as I heard there was a house on fire I knew I had to go help because of a past experience. About a year and a half ago our house had caught on fire and our neighbours helped us,” said Higgins.

Higgins said that when he got to the house he saw that Magma Security was on-site trying to connect a hosepipe to dose the fire but he knew that that would take too long so he rushed inside with his fire extinguishers.

“After the fire I switched all the mains off and moved the pet dog into the back of my bakkie because the house was engulfed with smoke,” said Higgins.

Higgins advised that everyone should have a proper fire extinguisher in their homes because should a fire break out it is better to put it off early rather than have the fire claim multiple items while waiting for help.

“So much was lost in the 12 minutes that the fire was allowed to spread. Had there been a good fire extinguisher there we could have saved much more,” said Higgins.

Megan Nicol, founder of the Montrose Community Watch Group and head of the Community Policing Forum for Townhill, hailed Higgins efforts and said that with the help of the community they could prevent many bad incidents from occurring.

“I hail him as a hero and want to emphasise the power of connecting as a community. I encourage all our residents to get involved and help out just as Stephen did,” said Nicol.

Williams said that the fire started after she left ingredients on the stove to melt because she wanted to bake and went to her room.

Once she got back to the kitchen she saw that the pot and extractor fan was on fire which triggered her to press her panic alarm and send out an SOS on the community group.

“Stephen arrived earliest and was able to put off the fire with his two extinguishers,” said Williams. She confirmed that everyone in the house at the time was safe and unaffected haling Stephen as her hero.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.