Teen held at knife-point

2018-04-11 06:01

“MY son is lucky to be alive.”

These were the sentiments expressed by Vincent Krishanduth after his son escaped unscathed from a knife-wielding mugger on Friday.

While walking home from local sports field, Protea Grounds, Grade 10 pupil Uriah Krishanduth said that a man approached him and held onto his hand tightly while pressing a knife close to him forcing him to accompany the man.

“He told me not to scream or he would kill me,” said Krishanduth.

He added that he even walked across from policemen but could not scream as he feared for his life. The mugger took him to Simeon Road where he forced Krishanduth to sit while he took his phone and shoes which Krishanduth said were birthday gifts.

“He then put the knife to my throat and threatened to slit it if I didn’t give him my password,” said Krishanduth.

The mugger then slapped him and was about to stab him when he kicked the mugger’s hand with the knife in it and ran away.

“He started to chase me and while running my vice-principal saw me and offered to take me home,” said Krishanduth.

After opening a case at the Mountain Rise Police station on Saturday morning, Vincent said that the police came to their house and picked him and his son up to patrol the area in search of the man.

“A criminal will always return to the scene of the crime so we went to Simeon Road. My son broke down in the van when he saw him [mugger] and identified him because he was wearing my son’s shoes that he had stolen,” said Vincent.

The police then searched the man and found him in possession of whoonga.

They then managed to find out that the man had sold the phone to a nearby shop and recovered the stolen phone.

“I just want to thank God for my son’s life because he could have been dead, and the police for helping us recover the stolen items,” said Vincent.

He said that his son was traumatised by the incident and wasn’t able to sleep on the Friday but police finding the man had given him some closure.

Mountain Rise Police communications officer captain Sean Singh confirmed the incident and said Uriah had been approached by a man who asked him if he smoked.

“He threatened him at knife point, taking his belongings to the value of R4200,” said Singh.

The man was arrested and detained at SAPS Mountain Rise and will appear in court soon.


Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.