WORRY over spate of dog-poisoning incidents across city

2020-01-15 06:01

THERE has been a spate of dog-poisoning incidents across the city and the SPCA has issued a warning asking pet owners to be aware of a banned substance called Temic being used to poison dogs.

Roland Fivas, chief inspector at the SPCA , said they had received information that dog poisoning was rife in the city again.

“It is suspected that the poison of choice is Temic — a pesticide used in the agricultural sector — but banned from use in the country owing to its extremely poisonous attributes. We have been informed of a few incidents in the city and urge owners to be on the look-out,” said Fivas.

He said dogs that have been poisoned will show an array of symptoms that include severe vomiting, diarrhoea, lack of balance, disorientation and aggression.

“If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, do not touch any of the vomit or excrement as it would be necessary for it to be examined. Other dogs should be kept away from the affected animal and get your pet to a vet urgently,” said Fivas.

Over the weekend, a German Shepard was found dead at its owner’s business premises in Mkondeni and it is suspected it was poisoned.

“We found our boy lying in a pool of its own vomit on Sunday morning when we got to the premises after our security guard called us. We’re not sure as to what he was poisoned with but we suspect temic because of how he was found.

The guard also noticed a man walking around a few properties in the area, trying to feed some dogs, but ran away when he was confronted,” said the Mkondeni businessman, who did not want to be named.

A Scottsville pet owner said he arrived at his home after a short getaway to find his dog dead and chicken bones in his yard.

“We suspect our dog was fed the poisoned chicken bones and that’s how he died. We are just lucky that they didn’t break in after killing the dog. Just keep a very close eye on your dogs.

He said it was the second time is dogs were poisoned.

“Previously they used to poison them with a white powder that is used to control earthworms on farms.

“That powder was very fast-acting, hence the nickname ‘two step’.

“It was quite accurate as the pets, after consuming the powder, would take two steps and collapse in an extremely agonising experience,” said the pet owner.

Two dogs were also found poisoned in College Road on Sunday morning.

It is believed the incident happened between 1 am and 3 am and the alleged suspects were frightened off by community patrollers in the area.

The dogs were taken to the vet where one died and the other one survived.

NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Most Read
News In Your Area
Top Lifestyle
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.