MORE than 100 people have died on the Eastern Cape roads since December.Although official figures will only be released by the end of January by Transport Minister, Fikile Mbalula, the death toll in the province has risen to more than 100, Unathi Binqose, spokesman for the Eastern Cape Department of Transport, said.According to Binqose, the new year started well, with no fatal accidents that were reported on New Year’s Day for the province. “What I can confirm at this stage is that the death toll is well over 100 since December 1, to date. We tend to focus on those who died on impact or who have died on the scene,” Binqose said on Monday.Binqose said they expected the inland roads will be busy at the weekend. Until then, their focus will be on coastal areas. Eastern Cape provincial traffic spokesperson, Charles Bramwell, said the roads had been busy over the weekend, especially because many holidaymakers, mainly from Gauteng and the Western Cape, had to return before they had to start working. Bramwell added, “The N6 from East London to Komani (Queenstown) and Aliwal North to the Free State is one of the roads that are expected to experience heavy traffic. There will also be an increase in traffic this coming weekend as many holidaymakers will be returning home.”Bramwell said that the N2 and R61 are expected to be busy in the direction of the Western Cape. The R61, which stretches from the old Transkei to Graaff-Reinet and Aberdeen towards the Western Cape, is known as the Eastern Cape’s ‘road of death’ due to the many accidents. With a special traffic team patrol on the road, Bramwell said that they had seen a decrease in road accidents so far over the festive period. He said the provincial traffic authorities, as well as members of the national unit deployed in the Eastern Cape, were ready for the pressure. He warned motorists to obey traffic rules.