Framesby victorious at Kearsney Easter Festival

2018-04-04 06:02
Framesby High fullback, Peter Scholtz, in action during the Kearsney Easter tournament.                                         Photo:TRACEY VAN DEN AARDWEG

Framesby High fullback, Peter Scholtz, in action during the Kearsney Easter tournament. Photo:TRACEY VAN DEN AARDWEG

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

FRAMESBY High School’s first rugby team won all three their matches at the Standard Bank Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival held in Durban this past weekend.

Despite the weather, the event attracted good crowds to Botha’s Hill, Durban, where 12 of the country’s notable rugby-playing schools were participating, including PE’s Framesby High School.

In the opening games, Framesby beat Pretoria Boys 13-10; HTS Drostdy beat Welkom Gimnasium 22-14 and Selborne College beat HTS Middelburg 33-19.

Two Eastern Cape schools, Dale College from King William’s Town and Framesby, faced each other in the fourth game of the festival.

When Framesby looked as though they were gaining some dominance in possession, it was Dale with a kick ahead on the half-time whistle that led to the first points.

The game livened up in the second half when Framesby scored twice in the third quarter.

The first was by forward Rikus Smith after a ruck, and the second by wing Luan Ras after some good passes between Ras and Sebastian Brand as they ran 50m down the left touch line, beating the defence.

Framesby scored their third try from a maul following a lineout after a long kick downfield, which found touch just in front of the corner flag. The conversion was again wide but their lead had increased to 15-5, which was the final score.

On Monday the unbeaten Framesby played against Noord-Kaap High School from Kimberley, who had yet to win a game.

Two tries were scored by Framesby, the first by flyhalf Juandre Liebenberg and the second by centre Sebastian Brandt, after a favourable bounce. The first was converted by Liebenberg, which put them 12-0 ahead.

The sides then traded penalties, Liebenberg for Framesby and DS van Niekerk for Noord-Kaap, to leave Framesby 15-3 ahead. After some forward dominance, centre Brandt went over for his second try.

The second half was evenly contested until a few minutes from the end. A possible try by Noord-Kaap centre Elzandro Fredericks after a 70m sprint was nullified after a call by the assistant referee for an illegal tackle.

This gave Framesby a second wind and they attacked, resulting in centre Brandt breaking.

He was tackled on the try-line, but supporting flank Christo Grobler was on hand to dot down, resulting in a 30-8 final score. Framesby returned home having won all three their matches.


Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.