M’well family loses everything in house fire

2018-01-17 06:02
Don Nyumka and his family lost everything in the fire, including their car. Photos:THANDI SETOKOE

Don Nyumka and his family lost everything in the fire, including their car. Photos:THANDI SETOKOE

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A MOTHERWELL family is now without a home and is trying to rebuild their lives after losing everything in a fire allegedly caused by children playing at a next-door neighbour’s yard last week.

Neighbour Khayalethu Gxidi was told that three children aged five, six and nine were playing with matches outside when the fire got out of hand, setting his shack alight.

Gxidi said by the time the residents noticed the fire, it had already spread to the next-door neighbour’s shack.

“I was in away in East London when I heard the horrific news. When I arrived and saw the damage my heart just sank,” Gxidi described.

Don Nyumka, who lives behind Gxidi, not only lost his shack in the fire but his house and car as well.

The despaired husband and father of two said he is still in disbelief. “

“No words can describe how I felt when I arrived home only to see it burnt to ashes. It was shocking to see there was nothing left of our house. Luckily my wife, who was asleep inside the house at the time of the fire, managed to get out in time,” Nyumka said.

He added that he isn’t even angry at the kids for having caused such damage, as he too is a father and, therefore, understands that sometimes children do things that are uncalled for. “What’s done is done now. I don’t even expect the neighbours to pay for anything. I am sure that the children have seen the danger of playing with fire,” he said.

Another next-door neighbour, Nomathemba Ncaba, whose house survived the fire with minimal damage, said the house was engulfed in flames by the time the firefighters got there.

“People came with buckets of water from everywhere trying to douse the flames, but the flames were just too huge and the entire house was burning. We only managed to take out the couches and television from the lounge before the roof caved in,” Ncaba said.

Ward 55 councillor Mzuvukile Boti said they were going to do their utmost best to assist the family in any way possible.

“A temporary house is being constructed and we are also going to try and assist the children with back-to-school essentials,” Boti said.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.