Record 300 000 tourists visit Addo in past year

2018-04-25 06:00
The Addo Elephant National Park has had a record number of visitors over the last financial year.                                                 Photo:SUPPLIED

The Addo Elephant National Park has had a record number of visitors over the last financial year. Photo:SUPPLIED

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

FOR the first time in the Addo Elephant National Park’s 87-year history, in excess of 300 000 visitors passed through the park’s gates during the previous financial year.

A total of 305 510 guests were tallied between April 1, last year and March 31, this year.

This represents an increase of 15% for the same period in 2016/17 with 265 585 guests to the park. Slightly over half of these were international tourists at 158 162 (52%), while 146 091 were South Africans (47%) and 1 257 were visitors from SADC countries. Dissected into day and overnight visitors, 82% or 250 232 were day visitors, while the remaining 18% or 55 278 were overnight guests.

The majority of South African visitors to the park originated from the Eastern Cape at 101 374, which represents 69% of the total, followed by 21% from the Western Cape.

Germany, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom were the park’s top three overseas markets, which represented 55%, 10% and 5% of the international market respectively.

Park manager Nick de Goede said, “We are elated by these statistics. Not only does it tell us that the park is a destination of choice for so many people but that confidence, both in the area and in the country, is also picking up.

“Our staff work exceptionally hard all year round to ensure that all our visitors receive excellent customer service. They do so under extreme conditions at times, as catering to the needs of all these people is no mean feat.

“By putting best practices in place on the conservation front, we are able to provide top quality game viewing and a myriad activities all centred on our core function of nature conservation. The amount of day visitors, who made up 82% of our visitors over the past 12 months, tells us that the majority of people passing through our gates do so to enjoy the park’s fauna and flora,” De Goede continued.

There are a number of activities in which guests to Addo Elephant National Park, located just outside Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape, participate.These include self-drive game viewing, guided game drives, bird viewing, walks and hikes, horse trails and a 4x4 trail.

For others wanting to spend more time in the park by overnighting, an array of accommodation options varying from camping and caravanning to chalets, rondavels and tented camps to more luxurious four-star options is available.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.