Refuse collection backlog addressed

2019-07-17 06:02

REFUSE collection has been delayed in most areas of the Nelson Mandela Bay Metro since early July.

Residents last week took to social media their frustration saying that ratepayers need to mobilise and take a stand. Some residents said they are refusing to pay for refuse removal this month as they had to dispose of the refuse at the nearest drop-off centre themselves.

An urgent statement from the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality (NMBM), issued on July 4, urged residents to keep their refuse as the depots were closed due to a protest by SMMEs.

However, due to the municipality experiencing challenges of permanent officials within the waste department, further delays in refuse collection occurred in the metro.

According to NMBM spokesperson, Mthubanzi Mniki, there is currently no strike by refuse collection employees.

“There is, however, a challenge of some permanent officials that are on sick leave.

“Also, some had to take their leave days as they were about to expire. However, previously the SMMEs were complaining about issues of tenders,” Mniki said.

The municipality has since sourced temporary workers from the Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) to address the refuse collection backlog. Mniki said, “Municipal employees are working to restore the waste collection services and the municipality has urged residents and businesses to be patient as the matter is receiving the necessary attention.”

NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.