THE Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality launched phase two of the War on Waste Campaign last Thursday, taking the fight against illegal dumping into a higher gear in Bethelsdorp . The campaign, which was launched earlier this year, has had its challenges, ranging from underspending, the employment of litter pickers and general project management challenges. Speaking at the launch, Executive Mayor Athol Trollip admitted that phase one of the campaign had not been as successful as it should have been. “We have learnt our lessons. “Through phase one it has become clear to us that cleaning the city is more urgent that ever before.“It is also clear to us that unity in action with our people is critical,” said Trollip. At the launch, the executive mayor also unveiled two of three new refuse compactor trucks, purchased at R4 million each. Phase two will be more focused, with clamping down on illegal dumping as the priority. Awareness campaigns in institutions like schools and churches and residential areas will be key in the campaign. The three new compactor trucks will cut down on delays due to mechanical problems. “We are not going to play games with illegal dumpers. “We have our metro police and town rangers ready to go around the city and the notorious dumping areas. We are also working on increasing the current fine of R2 000 for dumping as some of the illegal dumpers, more especially construction companies, do not mind paying this amount,” said Trollip.Acting executive director of public health, Tsietsi Mokonenyane, also emphasised how important it was that our beautiful city should be kept clean and attractive. “From here we will be dealing with hotspots identified by the metro in order to clean them. “The illegal dumping of waste has a terrible effect on our environment. It is our commitment as the directorate of public health to get rid of this scourge by working together with our communities in beautifying our city,” Mokonenyane said.