‘Too young for pension’

2015-07-14 06:00
Lea Sampson has been struggling for nearly three years to have her details updated at the home affairs department after her previous ID was stolen. Sampson says she is 62 years old but home affairs registered her as 52.

Chevon Booysen

Lea Sampson has been struggling for nearly three years to have her details updated at the home affairs department after her previous ID was stolen. Sampson says she is 62 years old but home affairs registered her as 52. PHOTO: Chevon Booysen

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A 62-year-old woman is at wit’s end after nearly three years of struggling to get a new identification document and her pension payout.

From her shack dwelling in Uitkykbos informal settlement, the demotivated woman says she does not know what to do anymore. She found out she was registered as ten years younger than her actual age on the home affairs system and because of this she doesn’t qualify for pension.

Lea Sampson says she has been struggling to obtain a new ID for the past two and a half years after her old one was stolen.

Sampson says it has been an uphill battle to get a new ID issued. She even approached a community worker to help her.

“It has been difficult because we make frequent trips to the home affairs offices in Wynberg but we never came right. I just need this sorted because it has caused me so much stress,” Sampson laments.

She says she has been struggling to get her ID details up to date as this is the only thing standing in the way of getting her pension.

Tanya Meyer, who has helped Sampson, says they were “given the run around for a long time”.

“I have been trying to get Sampson the help she needs by accompanying her to the home affairs offices. When we got there the first time they told us they could not find her on the system,” Meyer says.

She says visits to home affairs after that proved even less fruitful as they have not made headway in nearly three years.

“It cannot go on like this. This woman is a pensioner and she is struggling at the moment to make ends meet,” Meyer says.

“We had to get an affidavit stating that her ID was stolen and at the Wynberg offices Sampson had to be sworn in by me to confirm she is a citizen,” Meyer says.

After this was done, Meyer says Sampson was “eventually” found on the system. “But then we sat with a bigger problem. We then found out she was registered as 52 years old instead of 62. Trying to rectify this has been a headache on its own,” Meyer says.

Sampson adds the ordeal has caused her discomfort in her community as well.

“When the people are drunk here in the settlement they say things like I don’t even have an ID and I do not exist in this country. It’s traumatising and hurts me,” Sampson says.

According to Meyer and Sampson they were subsequently referred by home affairs to a doctor so her age may be “predicted”.

“We went to the doctor and were told they cannot predict the age. Every time it seems we have made progress, we move back,” she says.

Wynberg home affairs department spokesperson Nazeem Andrews says Sampson has to apply to have her details corrected.

“If no application was done then that will be the first step. To apply to have the date amended [will cost] R70 with a waiting period of about 6 months and longer. Then after the amendment we can look at a temporary ID and ID card,” Andrews says.

He adds that citizens are sometimes referred to a doctor to have an age assessment done if they do not have proof of birth in the form of a birth certificate or baptismal certificate.

“If she has an ID with a certain date and she feels it’s wrong then she needs to prove to the department which is the correct date with proof in form of documentation.”

Andrews advised Sampson to visit her nearest home affairs offices for more information and to get application forms for the rectification.


What are your thoughts? Starting with the word “Post”, SMS your views to 32516. SMSes cost R1

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.