Back in court for building plan

2019-02-12 06:00
The work continues at the site.PHOTO: Nomzamo Yuku

The work continues at the site.PHOTO: Nomzamo Yuku

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Although the City of Cape Town has approved the building plan for the Hadjiee Abdullah Solomon Family Trust in Constantia, the matter remains in court after the Constantia Ratepayers’ and Residents’ Association (CRRA) rejected it.

The plan was approved by the City in August last year, paving way for the construction of a multi-million rand development that could see scores of people who were evicted from the area during the 1966 forced removals return to the neighbourhood (“Restoring a ‘legacy’”, People’s Post, 14 August).

CRRA attorney Yvonne Leibman said the “review application” is be heard in the Cape Town High Court on Monday 18 and Tuesday 19 February. However, she refused to comment further.

Meanwhile, the City says the plans of the former old Ladies’ Mile Drop-Off Centre complied with the Development Management Scheme, the conditions of the rezoning, consolidation and Council’s approval.

Mayco member for spatial planning and environment Marian Nieuwoudt said: “The City can confirm that the current work being undertaken on the property is in accordance with an approved building plan.”

She says despite the appeals, the City cannot prevent a developer or property owner from undertaking building work site preparation on their property which is in accordance with approved plans. Work on this site started before the plan was approved in August last year.

According to Nieuwoudt construction will be completed in November this year. The overall work is valued at close to R101m. The construction comprises three levels with a maximum height of about 14.4m above base level. According to the Solomon family there used to be 32 houses on the farm, and there are now 84 claimants, who will be returning once the development is complete.

The Solomons were among many who were removed from their land during the forced removals, which they have now leased(land) to a large retailer to build a mall and housing units. This is their attempt to restore the legacy of the land which was, before the forced removals, Sillery Farm, running a successful business that reportedly fed the whole family.

NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.