The City of Cape Town will in the new year demolish several derelict buildings along the False Bay and Atlantic coastlines. Mayco member for spatial planning and environment, Marian Nieuwoudt, says the exact dates of the planned demolition is currently being finalised with the contractor. Nieuwoudt says the demolition forms part of planned repair and refurbishment of City assets along the coastline.“One of the first steps of our coastal upgrading programme is to demolish 12 derelict and unsafe buildings along the coastline stretching from Strand to Table View,” says Nieuwoudt.“We will not replace the derelict structures. They have not been used for several years and Council has now given us approval to go ahead and remove these from our coastline. In most cases the coast will be rehabilitated to ensure that the public can safely enjoy these areas again. The demolition is the first part of the overall coastal optimisation and upgrading plan.”Nieuwoudt continues that many of these facilities were built in highly mobile dune systems and are covered by sand. “Their removal is part of the City’s efforts to revitalise our coastline and improve Cape Town’s resilience against the impact of climate change,” she says.Council approved the removal of the 12 buildings on Thursday 31 October.The buildings set to be demolished are:Monwabisi ablution facility and caféBaden Powell ablution facilitySonwabe ablution facilityStrand Deep Blue building on Beach RoadMostert’s Bay ablution facilityMacassar Pavilion, ablution facility, security kiosk and lifeguard clubhouseFrank’s Bay ablution facilityWitsand ablution facilityTable View ablution facility“Earlier this year a team of City officials conducted inspections to determine the current state of the buildings, and the accessibility and use thereof,” says Nieuwoudt.“They have found that the buildings are structurally unsafe, badly vandalised or damaged by coastal processes, and that some are illegally occupied and used for anti-social and criminal activities.”Nieuwoudt continues that the demolition will get rid of the many eyesores along the coast.“The buildings blemish our beautiful coastline and they pose a health and safety risk to residents and visitors. Given that it would cost the City nearly R170 million to replace these facilities, the department has recommended that the most sustainable and socially responsible solution would be for the City to remove them, she says.The department will use the available budget to demolish as many buildings as possible in this financial year.A further R25 million has been allocated to upgrade coastal infrastructure of Fisherman’s Lane over the next three financial years. Muizenberg corner has also been identified for an upgrade as part of the initiative.“We are currently working on the final planning of the upgrade of Fisherman’s Lane. In addition, a detailed planning project for the complete upgrade of Monwabisi Beach facilities is underway and we have completed a business plan for the rehabilitation of the Table View beachfront,” says Nieuwoudt.