The flow in the proposed closure of the Blomvlei canal seems to have been stemmed by the latest tender process.Head of catchment planning Abdulla Parker said at a sitting of subcouncil 17 at Athlone Stadium on Wednesday that the process was “frustrating”.“I inherited the Blomvlei canal from my predecessor (two years ago) and this is the second round that we are going through with the tender document. We have received eight tenders towards this. “We cannot just go in and close the canal. A due diligence process has to be followed which is beyond my control,” said Parker.He added that if the process ran smoothly, a contractor would be on site by February next year at the earliest or March by the latest.Councillor for the area Magedien Davids was exasparated that the project had to be delayed again, saying he had been promised the same thing at the end last year“From March to March, we all march. You promised me last year the same thing – this March it would be done.“The issue which worries me is that it takes so long to appoint the tenders. From our point of view and the community’s, it does not tie with the time frame which was promised to the community,” said Davids.Parker replied that the tender process could not be accelerated much more than it already had been and that a meeting with stakeholders would be held in early November.“This is a collective effort between departments. I have taken the Blomvlei culvert and explained that there is a huge shortage of project capital implementing officials. “We are going to go around in circles if we ask for things which is not possible and we can escalate it to the City of Cape Town manager. “The City manager needs to understand that unless we get additional project managers and budget, especially now with the drought, we are going to sit around the table for years requesting things,” added Parker.